HOW TO GET THE BEST PRICE WHEN SELLING YOUR YACHT!
Here are the important things to consider when choosing a broker:
- Guidance: You will receive comprehensive guidance on pricing your yacht: This ensures the greatest possibility that you will get top-dollar for your yacht and that you will sell it as quickly as possible.
- Competition: We will identify your competition and we will identify improvements that can give you "the edge" on the competition: Certain upgrades make sense to do in order to get the yacht "show-ready". Cosmetic-type refits usually pay the best dividends. They will help the yacht sell sooner and you can usually recoup your refit-investment or a multiple of the investment. However, some mechanical work is not necessary to complete a sea trial, and we do not recommend it unnecessarily.
- Advertising: We can advertise your vessel in yachting publications and on worldwide yacht sales websites at our expense. Advertising and marketing know-how is probably the most important factor in selling a yacht quickly and for the best price. Our advertising dollars become part of the marketing effort required to properly market your boat to a wider audience than you may be able to reach on your own.
- Coordinate All Parties: We coordinate documentation and keep all parties informed and stress-free. For most transactions there can be as many as 23 forms needed at closing (27 for foreign-flagged vessels). Each form must be executed in a specific order to successfully trigger the next sequence of events and is designed to protect your interests and minimize litigation.
- Documentation: We coordinate lien searches, title-transfer preparation, financing resources, insurance, haulouts and surveys. We help with registration and documentation advice. This part of the sale can be very daunting. We have relationships with companies that have facilitated literally hundreds of yacht sales and they will make sure that all the i's are dotted.
- Showings: We arrange the showings of your vessel to qualified potential buyers.
- Refit advice: We work with Just Catamarans and Maz Ocean at Harbour Towne Marina in Dania Beach, one of the best haul-out facilities in Florida. Both companies have excellent reputations and fair pricing.
- Tax Issues: Taxes can be tricky in different states and countries, e.g. in Florida you are legally exempt from the 6% Florida Use Tax if you list your yacht with a Florida Registered Broker and do not use the boat in Florida. If, on the other hand, you bring the yacht to Florida and the tax has not been paid and you try to sell the yacht yourself, then the 6% Use Tax is immediately due (before you sell it!). Similarly, if the yacht is in Florida and listed with an out-of-state non-registered broker then the Use Tax is immediately due and payable. Do not risk having your yacht seized for non-payment of taxes.
- Delivery coordination: We deal with the most reputable delivery companies and skippers with years of experience and ocean miles and we can coordinate any delivery worldwide.
- We insulate you from the other party: We will act as your professional "gatekeeper". This gives you time and flexibility to respond to questions and offers. Experienced negotiators recommend avoiding contact with the "adversary". Sellers are often too close to the situation and emotions can bungle a sale.
- We use our time. Not yours: Selling the yacht yourself can and will be a hassle. Think about this: Sometimes, the people who make appointments to see yachts are "no-shows". A high percentage of buyers are only interested in an "education" about your boat and do not know or care if they waste many hours or days of your time. Unqualified buyers (a.k.a. "dreamers") will consume a lot of your time, so you must know how to weed out the real buyer from the dreamer. Even we, as professionals, can still get misled on occasion.
- Peace of mind: You can be assured that all legal documents are taken care of when the money transfer hits your bank at the time of transfer.